The data tables listed here provide examples of the type of information that researchers can obtain from the TUS. They are based on analyses of the 2014-15 TUS-CPS data files. All tables refer to self responses from self reports only.
Table 1: Smoking Status.
Table 2: Home and Work Environments in Which Smoking is Not Allowed.
Table 3: Cigarette Smoking Quit Attempts and Cessation.
Tables 4a/4b/4c: Use of Cigars & Smokeless Tobacco Products; Use of Pipes & Hookahs; Use of E-Cigarettes.
Table 5: Various Unique Items.
Table 6: Attitudes Toward Smoking in Public Places.
When using these tables, please note that:
- Several federal surveys are used to track tobacco usage in the US population, each with slightly different assessments. These tables are examples of analyses of the 2014-15 data files that are available from the Census Bureau.
- The table data are weighted for the sample design and for CPS Smoking Supplement self-response.
- Tabled values may not sum exactly to 100% due to rounding error.
- These tables contain simple parameter estimates (percentages and means), and measures of variance in the form of confidence intervals. These confidence intervals were estimated using replicate weights. Alternative estimates of variance and confidence intervals can be made for simple analyses using Attachment 16 of the 2014-15 Tobacco Use Supplement Files of the US Census Bureau Technical Documentation. Replicate weights necessary for more complex analysis such as regression or analysis of variance are available for download from the Census Website.
- Northeast = Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont;
- Midwest = Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin;
- South = Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia; and
- West = Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.