The Tobacco Use Supplement to the Current Population Survey (TUS-CPS) is an NCI-sponsored survey of tobacco use that has been administered as part of the U.S. Census Bureau's Current Population Survey approximately every 3-4 years since 1992-93. The most recent publicly released data are for the 2018-2019 TUS-CPS (July 2018, January 2019, and May 2019).Tobacco Control Funding Opportunities
- New TUS-CPS paper: Menthol Cigarette Smoking Trends Among United States Adults, 2003-2019
- Now accepting applications for access to the new
- Featured videos on TUS-CPS webpage navigation and resources
Get an overview of the TUS-CPS and its uses and linkagesDownload Fact Sheet
More TUS-CPS Information
To cite the harmonized data, please use:
- National Cancer Institute. (2021). Tobacco Use Supplement to the Current Population Survey Harmonized Data, 1992-2019. https://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/brp/tcrb/tus-cps
For each survey wave 2014-15 and later, please use:
- US Department of Commerce, Census Bureau (Year of Data Release). National Cancer Institute and Food and Drug Administration co-sponsored Tobacco Use Supplement to the Current Population Survey. Years of Survey. https://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/brp/tcrb/tus-cps
For each survey wave 2010-11 and earlier, please use:
- US Department of Commerce, Census Bureau (Year of Data Release). National Cancer Institute sponsored Tobacco Use Supplement to the Current Population Survey. Years of Survey. https://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/brp/tcrb/tus-cps
To cite the Technical Documentation and Data Files, replace the URL in the citation with: https://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/brp/tcrb/tus-cps/questionnaires-data.
Frequently Asked Questions
Not sure where to get started? View frequently asked questions regarding the TUS-CPS and how to make the most of these data.
Data Harmonization Fact Sheet
This fact sheet provides an overview of the harmonized dataset, including information on the harmonization process, what variables were harmonized, and how to use the dataset.
Small Area Estimation PPT
This presentation presents model-based Small Area Estimation techniques for researchers to analyze data below the state level (e.g., county-level).
User Workshops & Webinars
Enhance your knowledge of the TUS-CPS data and learn more about how to use this rich and unique data resource.
Health Disparities Calculator
Import SEER data or other population-based health data and calculate any of 11 disparity measurements.
This webinar provides an overview of the TUS-CPS, its uses and linkages, and tips and tricks for using the data.